Black Tea Rinse to Reduce Shedding
By Sumetra Reed
"What can I do to reduce shedding" is a question I get from not just naturals but women in general. Often times shedding and breakage can be misunderstood but understanding the difference can help you determine the best route to take for treatment.
Breakage is when hair snaps off the hair strand generally caused by poor diet, lack of moisture and even excessive heat styling can cause breakage.
Shedding on the other hand is normal and occurs when the growth cycle all ends. A shed hair can be identified when you can see or feel the bulb at the end of the strand as pictured below. The nornal amount of shedding is 50 - 100 strands per day. But what about when shedding is excessive?
DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) is the hormone mainly responsible for shedding. Why? DHT shrinks the hair follicle causing the hair to shed. Studies have shown that the caffeine in black tea blocks DHT, helping to reduce the amount of shedding.
Additional Benefits of Black Tea Rinses:
• Makes hair softer
• Adds shine to hair
• Reduce appearance of greys
How to Mix and Rinse:
• Take 4-5 tea bags of black tea
• Add them to a pot of water and boil (about 2-3 cups)
• Once boiled, remove from heat and allow to cool (some leave it to steep overnight to make sure the mixture is potent)
• Poor tea mixture over hair. You can also pour in a spray bottle for easier application.
• Cover with shower cap and allow to set for 30-45 minutes then rinse
• Deep condition hair
• Rinse with cool water
• Style as normal
*Black tea can stain so you may want to wear an old tshirt during the process
There you have it! Super simple rinse that can aid in reducing the amount of shedding. I hope this was helpful for you all.
Have you tried this rinse before? If so, how did it work for you?
By Sumetra Reed