Six Ways To Keep Your Hair Color Vibrant
By Ebony Clark-Bomani
Many of us naturals looooove vibrant, colorful curls. In order to keep them looking rich there are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Use a low sulfate or, preferably, a sulfate-free shampoo. It will help to extend the life of your color. As detergent-based shampoos are more likely to make your color fade faster.
2. Shampoo less often. The more you shampoo, the more pigment you're likely to strip away ---and faster!
3. Always use heat protectant when heat styling. Using heat protectant also slow down the fading process during styling.
4. Steer clear of hair products with alcohol and too much silicone. Alcohol with rob your hair of the moisture that it needs to stay healthy and
5. Get a shower filter. It will help prevent fading and discoloration that's caused by the buildup of all the chlorine and minerals in the water.
6. Use products that were designed specifically for hair color. They add pigments to the hair to help your color last as long as possible! Some of them also provide UV protection from the sun!
Have you experienced fast fading hair color?! How did you combat it?