Heatless Curls (w/ Videos)
By Sumetra Reed
Let's be honest, heat scares a lot of us naturals. I remember when I first went natural, I was clueless. I didn't know what a big chop, cowash, prepoo or LOC method was. It's like a whole new language and it can be a bit overwhelming (I digress LOL). Back to the subject matter at hand. While transitioning I got my hair flat ironed all the time. For my hair texture and hair type, that was not a wise decision. It changed/effected my natural curl pattern and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I had some major heat damage (pictured below on the left).
So I challenged myself. I decided to change my regimen and only use heat 1 to 2 times a year. DRASTIC change. My hair felt fuller, thicker and healthier (pictured above on the right). But wait, l still LOVED curly hair styles but didn't want to use heat. So I found ways to create beautiful, silky, voluminous curls without heat.
Here are a few tips:
1. Wash with a clarifying shampoo. I get better results when my hair is free from product build up.
2. Deep condition your hair. When my hair is nice and moisturized, my curls are soft and bouncy.
3. Set your style on wet or damp hair. While this may cause more shrinkage, my experience is that I get longer lasting styles when I set my hair on wet hair.
4. Use the LOC or LCO method to seal in moisture. Since heatless curls are a low manipulation style, you want to seal in moisture to avoid your hair drying out and keep your curls from being dry and brittle.
5. Set your style over the weekend or when you plan on being home a day or two. I let my hair air dry and with thick hair, it takes 24 plus hours to dry.
6. Coat fingers with a light weight oil at take down. Coconut oil is my oil of choice. Not only does it add a nice sheen to my curls, it helps to minimize the frizz.
7. Use the pineapple method at night to get longevity ou of your curls and maintain definition.
Check out one of my most popular flexi rod set tutorials which demonstrates step by step how I set, style and maintain my curls as well as a couple of my favorite tutorials on YouTube to demonstrate other ways to create flawless curls.
Naptural85 shows how to create gorgeous curls/waves using flexi rods and setting on dry stretched hair.
MahoganyCurls shows us how to create large spiral curls using perm rods on wet/damp hair and sitting under a dryer to lessen the dry time.
Ariel Cupcake shows us how to create gorgeous curls on a TWA using a combination of twists and flexi rods
Make sure you tag #teamnatural_ (don't forget that underscore) to show us how you create your curls! www.instagram.com/teamnatural_
By Sumetra Reed